Physiotherapy is a new area of medical science that has become integral to modern day existence and rehabilitative care, across the world. This profession aims in helping to restore wellness to people following injury, pain or disability. A Physiotherapist assess, plan and implement rehabilitative programs that improve or restore human motor functions, maximize movement ability, relieve pain syndromes, and treat or prevent physical challenges associated with injuries, diseases and other impairments. They apply a broad range of physical therapies and techniques such as kinesiology, ultrasound, heat therapies, laser and other techniques. They also develop and implement programmes for screening and prevention of common physical ailments and disorder.
The KLE Society started Bachelor of Physiotherapy program in 1994, at J.N. Medical College Belgaum under Karnataka University Dharwad. The BPT program subsequently was taken under the aegis of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Bangalore in year 1997. The Department Started MPT program in Year 2000 and became a separate institute in the year 2004.The number of specialty branches in MPT has increased from 5 to 11 over the years.The courses are recognized by the Government of Karnataka and Indian Association of Physiotherapists. KLE Institute of Physiotherapy was taken under the ambit of KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research (Deemed-to-be-University) in year 2009. The 11 specialties in post-graduation are led by expert faculties dealing with academic, clinical & research training.All faculties are well qualified and among them 33% are PhD qualified with average experience of 10 years.
The students Clinical training at super-specialty hospital Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Belagavi which is a 2460 bed establishment. Approximately 10,000 patients in the hospital and over 50,000 across the community are served by the department each year.
- The institute has one of the best infrastructures with a state-of-the-art advanced Physiotherapy Centre spared in 14,000 sq.ft. The center houses Virtual Reality, Gait Lab; Hydrotherapy Pool, MATRIX, Shockwave Therapy, Dry Cryo therapy, Functional electrical Stimulation, EMG biofeedback, LASER, Cryo-compression therapy, compression therapy, isokinetic device, Sports Fitness etc.
- Academic area is developed in 47000 sq.ftarea.The classrooms and labs are provided with multimedia presentation tools,Wifi and PAS facility.
- Community and extension services cater through 11 Peripheral Centers (Old age homes, special schools, PHC). For catering to the needs of community, institute has conducted numerousphysiotherapy camps and awareness program till date.
- Industrial Visit,ruralservices,domicilary services through community van is also the part of community reach out program.
- The Institute received the best college award in India in 2016 fromthe Indian Association of Physiotherapy.
- The building and lighting arrangements supports the green building The institute building also imbibes ‘Swacch Bharat’ concepts in its true sense.
- The Library has more than 11000 books and 19 journals exclusively for Physiotherapy. Library digital section houses 30 computers with internet facility.
- Faculties of the institute have published 452 research articles among these 223 are published in national, 203 in international journal and 26 in Regional.
- The faculties of institute have claimed 85 and students 89 prizes in scientific paper and poster presentation respectively. Student shave also won 10 gold medals for excellence in scholastic performance at university level.Institute received patent for 02 innovation,09 patent under progress.institute also received 10 copyright for literary output and 15 under progress.
- To support the scientific publication, institute has started Indian journal of Physical Therapy and Research (Web site: ijptr.org) Published by Wolters Kluwer Medknow).
- Institute conducts professional development program on regular basis. So far Institute has conducted 3 Conferences, 52 workshops, and 64 guest lectures. The Sports physiotherapy department extended consultation services to 115 various sporting events of international, national, regional level events organized in Belgaum.
- The institute has MOUs with International (Thomas Jefferson University Philadelphia USA, University of Wisconsin, La Crosse, CAPRI institute of manual therapy, New Delhi,World Alumni Network). The institute also encourages students exchange/clinical exposure to international and national repute institutions like NIMHANS,FortisBangalore,Kolhapur Cancer centre.
- The Institute strives for holistic and global development of its student and to achieve it students are encouraged to take up Yoga classes, visit to orphanage homes, old age homes, and local industries, attend soft skill training programs etc.
- The institute provides support to student through mentorship program, advance syllabus planning and placement cell activities. Students are encouraged to participate in sports, cultural, extramural and NSS activities.